By: Sarah Adams | Client Success Specialist
July 15, 2022
Resident safety is a primary advantage of living in a care community. Thanks to new advances in enterprise technology in the senior living industry, residents are increasingly gaining access to smart home systems — designed specifically for seniors — that further promote independence and greater well being.
At K4Connect, our mission is dedicated to continuing these advancements in a market that is not only helping the residents of today, but also in preparation for the generations to come; all in partnership with the senior living communities we serve. Below, we will dive into three key benefits of K4Community Smart Home.
With K4Community Resident Check-In, residents benefit from a passive check-in system that works behind-the-scenes to keep staff aware, while promoting resident independence and happiness. Delivered through integrated smart home devices and voice activation with Amazon Alexa, residents simply move about their home and community teams are alerted of daily resident activity through our software-based system.
- Delivered through voice activation with Amazon Alexa, motion-sensing light switches or night lights
- Automated reporting for staff is viewable via desktop or mobile in the K4Community Team Hub
- “Away” settings available for when residents are not at home (e.g., gone on vacation or at a doctor’s appointment)
- Reduces false resident alerts, saves staff time & resources
With this automated well-check system, residents feel safer and community teams increase daily efficiency — a win-win. In fact, one K4Connect community partner is able to automatically perform 97% of its wellness checks on a daily basis, leaving only 3% of the resident population to manually check on. Hundreds of senior living residents also took part in a K4Connect survey about this solution, resulting in 80% saying K4Community Resident Check-In makes them feel safer and 89% applauding the convenience of the tool.
With the assistance of motion scenes, residents can customize lighting and/or temperature in their home based on their individual preferences. Automated home features can aid residents by empowering them to manage settings in ways that are easiest to manage for them. Please note, the ability to customize motion scenes is based on the current smart home features installed in the home. However, a few examples include:
- When a Smart Motion Dimmer detects motion in the bathroom from the hours of 9 p.m. to 8 a.m., the lights turn on to 20%
- Between the hours of 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., a Smart Thermostat automatically adjusts to 68 degrees
- When a Smart Motion Switch detects motion, the lights turn on
This customizable element of our smart home automation solution creates a personalized technology experience that encourages increased usage and value over time.
To install personalized scenes for a smart home system, residents or staff can reach out to our K4Support team who will happily edit your settings remotely.
Access via Remote, Voice, or App
In addition to these great features, residents can access their Smart Home systems through a variety of user interfaces, including a remote, K4Community Voice, or through the K4Community Plus App — whichever works best for them!
- Senior-friendly remotes are programmed by the K4Connect team to operate all smart lighting in the home.
- The integrated K4Community Voice and Smart Home experience turns into an incredible accessibility tool for residents of nearly all ages and acuity. For example, if a resident home is equipped with K4Community Smart Home lighting, you might not have realized that Alexa can adjust the lights for you!
- K4Community Plus allows residents to operate their smart home controls directly within the mobile or web application from anywhere in the home.
Smart home is clearly no long an amenity of the future or reserved for luxury living, it’s more accessible and adaptable than ever before. We at K4Connect can’t wait to see where home automation advancements for older adults take us next!
Tips and Tricks
- If at any point smart lights in a home are changed (added, removed, or moved to a different location), please contact our K4Support team by either emailing Support@K4Connect.com or by calling (855) 876-9673